Reading Notes: Ramayana Part B

I took quite a few things I took from the second half of the Ramayana. I saw a theme of loyalty in the story of Bharata. Through his adventure, He seemed to be a very honest and loyal son. Next, I went through the story of Rama and Sita. I saw this set of stories as showing the "hero arch" of the epic. I see a lot of opportunity of with this story for one of the story topics I was looking at last week, Divine Iconography. He seems to be a major character in this epic. Later in the reading, Ravana, the king of demons, fights Rama in a war. His goal is to exploit the weaknesses everyone close to Rama in order to kill Rama and prove that he is not weaker than Rama. In order to do this, he must ennlist the help of his brother, Maricha, who turns into a golden deer to lure Rama and Lakshmana away from Sita. In the course of the next story called Ravana and Sita, Sita is left alone and opens up to the disguised Ravana, and after he reveals himself, Ravana steals Sita away as she cries out for Rama. I think this story would be interesting to look into if I choose to dive into the demons. As for the chapter on verse, I have a lot of trouble interpreting poems, so I couldn't get much out of that story.
Statue of Vishnu killing Demon King

Bibliography. "Ravana and Sita" by Donald A. Mackenzie, from Indian Myth and Legend. Web source: PDE Ramayana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Pet Lover

Week 3 Story: A Mysterious Old Man