Week 2 Reading Overview

Starting to look at the materials for the week 3 reading of the Ramayana, I think I've decided to go with the online version. I really enjoy illustration and audio when reading, and I'm excited to see the different styles of writing. And of course, as a college student lacking money, the free option is often a great way to go.
The first story that caught my interest is Ghatotkacha: The Chivalrous Demon from the Mahabharata. I found this comic interesting because it has many different parts to the story that I can imagine working with. I also find the original story intriguing and I like the basic moral of the story.
The next story I found interesting is Kumbhakarna from the Ramayana. This story about a sleeping giant seems curious at first glance, and reading the guide kept me wanting to know more about the story.
One of the videos I'm interested is to Indian and Greek Mythological parallels. I have always been very interested in Greek mythology, so to see the parallels in terms I'm more comfortable with was very helpful.
The second video I was very engaged by is called The Source-Who created the universe?. I really liked this one because I find religion very interesting, and the Vedic Indian view on the topic of creation is very peaceful in a way.
To be entirely honest, I am a very straight to the point kind of storyteller, and finding a topic that I am very interested in is essential for me to be able to build a project off of. Last semester, I was enrolled in a nonwestern dance class, which introduced me to a small portion of India religion, which in turn lead me to this class. I'm very excited to expand my knowledge of Indian epics through the course of this semester.
The image I chose has to do with my first comic choice. It shows one of the characters, Bhima, slaying the male demon Hidimba. I thought it was a good visualization of two characters from the story.
Bhima slays Hidimba while Bhima's brothers watch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Pet Lover

Week 3 Story: A Mysterious Old Man