Wikipedia Trail: From Sleep Deprivation to Comorbidity

I'm not sure if this is meant to have us look up more information on the Indian Epics or just something we've learned this week, so I am focusing on the later options. This week I read a very thought provoking article on sleep deprivation and would like to see where it takes me in the world of wikipedia. Sadly, science articles don't always include images, and the one that was available was not fit for use. So I just had to go with a cat, the rulers of sleep.
Even Grumpy Cat Needs to Sleep

First, I am starting with Wikipedia's article titled Sleep Deprivation (source). As I previously stated, my inspiration was another different article I read about the effects of sleep deprivation. Prior knowledge and that article prompted my curiosity to see what Wikipedia has to say about it. WIkipedia's take listed many causes and reasons I already was aware of, but one symptom caught my attention.

While some people may be interested in symptoms like hallucinations or mania, a symptom called malaise caught my eye, which led me to read the article entitled Malaise (source). I had never heard of the word before, so naturally I had to know what it was. I have felt the feeling of an achy body and general discomfort after sleeping for too short or too long, but I never knew what it was called, and apparently it's known as "malaise". This symptom is commonly associated with the achy feeling before a sickness or even uneasiness when something doesn't feel right.

This then led me to Prodrome (source), continuing my discovery of medical terms I didn't know. As a Pre-dental student, I am constantly intrigued by medical terms I don't know. Prodrome describes malaise, fever, headache, etc. under the classification of pre-illness or pre-mental disorder symptoms. In medicine, it's the body's own way of alert so you can prepare to seek help or gather the right materials to stop the sickness before it become too bad.

Finally, this led me to Comorbidity (source). Reading these articles made me curious about the state of disease, and how many symptoms can occur at once for various reasons. The article on Prodrome briefly mentions this in relation to comorbidity, so I had to dig deeper. This term refers to multiple conditions occurring at one time, possibly having influence on each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Pet Lover

Week 3 Story: A Mysterious Old Man